Characters of an avocado holding 'NO' sign, egg holding 'YES', salmon holding 'YES', cheese holding 'YES'

Can cats eat peanut butter?

No. Peanut butter isn't the best option for cats even though they appear to love this tasty treat.

Peanut butter's high in fat and may contain xylitol which is toxic. Xylitol can cause a quick reduction in blood sugar, which can lead to lethargy, muscle weakness, and seizures. It can even result in liver failure and death.

Suspect your cat has ingested a potentially poisonous substance? Call your vet or phone animal poison control at (888) 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply.
Verified By
askPurrch information is provided for educational purposes only. Please consult your veterinarian with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your pet’s specific nutritional or health needs. Always ask your veterinarian before feeding your pet anything new.
Embed Code
Embed this on your website or blog:


Width: - Height:
Copy Code
Pet Poison Control Hotline
A consultation fee may apply

ASPCA Animal Poison Control: (888) 426-4435

Pet Poison Hotline: (800) 213-6680

Important side note
on pet toxicities

During COVID, as people introduced new substances into their homes, such as baker’s yeast, paint, and vitamin D3, pet poisonings notably increased. Keep your pet safe by avoiding these highly toxic household products.

  • Over-the-counter drugs of all sorts (painkillers, cold medications, dietary supplements, etc.)
  • Insecticides
  • Household plants
  • Household cleaners (including hand sanitizer)
  • Heavy metal including lead, zinc and mercury
  • Fertilizers and other garden-related products
  • Automotive chemicals including antifreeze which is one of the most highly poisonous substances

Related Posts

Related Articles

Pet Poison Control Hotline
A consultation fee may apply

ASPCA Animal Poison Control: (888) 426-4435

Pet Poison Hotline: (800) 213-6680

Important side note
on pet toxicities

During COVID, as people introduced new substances into their homes, such as baker’s yeast, paint, and vitamin D3, pet poisonings notably increased. Keep your pet safe by avoiding these highly toxic household products.

  • Over-the-counter drugs of all sorts (painkillers, cold medications, dietary supplements, etc.)
  • Insecticides
  • Household plants
  • Household cleaners (including hand sanitizer)
  • Heavy metal including lead, zinc and mercury
  • Fertilizers and other garden-related products
  • Automotive chemicals including antifreeze which is one of the most highly poisonous substances